The application of genomics technologies to explore stem cell biology has been a pillar of research at the GIS since its inception. Stem cells have the unique and defining characteristics of unlimited self-renewal and the capacity to differentiate into progeny cells of specialized functions. This has spawned heightened interest in using stem cells for a variety of applications in the field of regenerative medicine. By combining expertise in cell biology, developmental biology, genomics technologies, and bioinformatics we have established a remarkable track record in dissecting the regulatory networks that control stem cell function. Our work has led to fundamental discoveries in how cell fates are specified during normal development and provided key insights into the molecular basis of cellular reprogramming.
More recently, the Stem Cell and Developmental Biology program has built upon their considerable capabilities and is now applying their expertise to translate basic discoveries into therapeutically impactful results. For example, the team is now engineering human cells and tissues directly from stem cells derived from patients to study cancer, neurological disorders, lung disease, cardiomyopathies, and prenatal health. Partnerships with pharmaceutical and biotech companies are leading to development of novel therapeutics and diagnostics that will make an impact on the quality of life for many people suffering from untreatable diseases.
- Lu X, Göke J, Sachs F, Jacques PE, Liang H, Feng B, Bourque G, Bubulya PA, Ng HH "SON connects the splicing-regulatory network with pluripotency in human embryonic stem cells" Nat Cell Biol. 2013 Sep 8. doi: 10.1038/ncb2839
- Aksoy I, Jauch R, Chen J, Dyla M, Divakar U, Bogu GK, Teo R, Leng Ng CK, Herath W, Lili S, Hutchins AP, Robson P, Kolatkar PR, Stanton LW "Oct4 switches partnering from Sox2 to Sox17 to reinterpret the enhancer code and specify endoderm." EMBO J 2013 Apr 3 ; 32(7) : 938-53 Epub 2013 Mar 8
- Guo G, Huss M, Tong GQ, Wang C, Li Sun L, Clarke ND, Robson P "Resolution of cell fate decisions revealed by single-cell gene expression analysis from zygote to blastocyst." Dev Cell 2010 Apr 20 ; 18(4) : 675-85
- Kumar PA, Hu Y, Yamamoto Y, Hoe NB, Wei TS, Mu D, Sun Y, Joo LS, Dagher R, Zielonka EM, Wang de Y, Lim B, Chow VT, Crum CP, Xian W, McKeon F. "Distal airway stem cells yield alveoli in vitro and during lung regeneration following H1N1 influenza infection." Cell. 2011 Oct 28;147(3):525-38. doi: 10.1016/j.cell.2011.10.001.
- Han J, Yuan P, Yang H, Zhang J, Soh BS, Li P, Lim SL, Cao S, Tay J, Orlov YL, Lufkin T, Ng HH, Tam WL, Lim B "Tbx3 improves the germ-line competency of induced pluripotent stem cells." (2010) Nature 2010 Feb 25 ; 463(7284) : 1096-100 Epub 2010 Feb 7
- Chia NY, Chan YS, Feng B, Lu X, Orlov YL, Moreau D, Kumar P, Yang L, Jiang J, Lau MS, Huss M, Soh BS, Kraus P, Li P, Lufkin T, Lim B, Clarke ND, Bard F, Ng HH "A genome-wide RNAi screen reveals determinants of human embryonic stem cell identity." Nature. 2010 Nov 11;468(7321):316-20. doi: 10.1038/nature09531. Epub 2010 Oct 17.