Positions available! Please email me directly with your resume.
The major research focus of my group is understanding the relationship between genotype and phenotype. This includes research in personalized medicine, understanding disease mutations, and working with next-generation sequencing technologies and protein sequence.
I have analyzed the personal genome of Craig Venter in great detail. I have shown that genome sequencing can help improve individual drug prescriptions by studying Dr. Craig Venter’s and Dr. Jim Watson’s genomes. I have also recommended guidelines to direct-to-consumer genetic companies such as 23andMe and Navigenics for improving disease risk predictions.
Understanding Disease Mutations
A large proportion of Mendelian disease can be attributed to mutations in coding genes. I created the SIFT algorithm (http://sift-dna.org) to predict the effect an amino acid substitution has on protein function. The SIFT algorithm is often applied to nonsynonymous variants.
As a Senior Bioinformaticist at Illumina, I designed the content for the microarrays used in genome-wide association studies. Later, I assessed next-generation sequencing technologies to observe what can be expected of the new technologies.
|2002||University of Washington, PhD in Bioengineering|
|1997||Caltech, B.S. in Biology with Honors|
|2010-||Group Leader, Genome Institute of Singapore|
|2009-2010||Assistant Professor, J. Craig Venter Institute|
|2006-2009||Senior Scientist, J. Craig Venter Institute|
|2005-2006||Senior Scientist, Illumina|
|2003-2005||Bioinformatics Scientist II, Illumina|
|2002-2003||Bioinformatics Scientist I, Illumina|
|2002||Computational Research Associate, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center|
Honors and Awards
|2009-2010||SAIC Contract: High throughput next generation sequencing of T cell receptors|
|2008-2010||NHGRI R01 grant: Continued Development and Maintenance of Software|
|2009||Most viewed BioMed Central article (in top 10 for the year)|
|2005||Illumina Values Award|
|2002||Scholarship winner, Keystone Symposia: Human Genetics and Genomics|
|1999-2002||Department of Energy Computational Science Graduate Fellowship|
|1998-1999||National Science Foundation Fellowship|
|1996-1998||Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honor Society|
|5 years||n-Small Cell Lung Cancer: Targeting Cancer Stem Cell and Drug Resistance by TCR (0)|
|3 years||POLARIS by BMRC (15M)|
|1 year||Appistry by BMRC (2M)|
- Javed A, Agrawal S, Ng PC "Phen-Gen: combining phenotype and genotype to analyze rare disorders." Nat Methods 2014 Sep ; 11(9) : 935-7 Epub 2014 Aug 3 Abstract
- Krishnan VG, Ebert PJ, Ting JC, Lim E, Wong SS, Teo AS, Yue YG, Chua HH, Ma X, Loh GS, Lin Y, Tan JH, Yu K, Zhang S, Reinhard C, Tan DS, Peters BA, Lincoln SE, Ballinger DG, Laramie JM, Nilsen GB, Barber TD, Tan P, Hillmer AM, Ng PC "Whole-Genome Sequencing Of Asian Lung Cancers: Second-Hand Smoke Unlikely To Be Responsible for Higher Incidence Of Lung Cancer Among Asian Never-Smokers." Cancer Res 2014 Sep 4 Abstract
- Ng PC, Murray SS, Levy S. Venter JC (2009) "An agenda for personalized medicine" Nature 461:724-726.
To download pdf, click on link below: Supplemental Data File
- Kumar P, Henikoff S, Ng PC. (2009) Predicting the effects of coding nonsynonymous variants on protein function using the SIFT algorithm Nature Protocols 4:1073-81. To download pdf, click on link below: Supplemental Data File
- Harismendy O*, Ng PC*, Strausberg RL, Wang X, Stockwell TB, Beeson KY, Schork NJ, Murray SS, Topol EJ, Levy S, Frazer KA "Evaluation of next generation sequencing platforms for population targeted sequencing studies." Genome Biol 2009 ; 10(3) : R32. *These authors contributed equally. Epub 2009 Mar 27 Abstract Supplemental Link
- Ng PC, Zhao Q, Levy S, Strausberg RL, Venter JC "Individual genomes instead of race for personalized medicine." Clin Pharmacol Ther 2008 Sep ; 84(3) : 306-9. To download pdf, click on link below: Abstract Supplemental Data File
- Ng PC, Levy S, Huang J, Stockwell TB, Walenz BP, Li K, Axelrod N, Busam DA, Strausberg RL, Venter JC "Genetic variation in an individual human exome." PLoS Genet 2008 ; 4(8) : e1000160 Abstract Supplemental Link
- Levy S, Sutton G, Ng PC, Feu k L, Halpern AL, Walenz BP, Axelrod N, Huang J, Kirkness EF, Denisov G, Lin Y, MacDonald JR, Pang AW, Shago M, Stockwell TB, Tsiamouri A, Bafna V, Bansal V, Kravitz SA, Busam DA, Beeson KY, McIntosh TC, Remington KA, Abril JF, Gill J, Borman J, Rogers YH, Frazier ME, Scherer SW, Strausberg RL, Venter JC "The diploid genome sequence of an individual human." PLoS Biol 2007 Sep 4 ; 5(10) : e254 Abstract Supplemental Link
- Ng PC, Henikoff S "Predicting the effects of amino acid substitutions on protein function." Annu Rev Genomics Hum Genet 2006 ; 7 : 61-80. To download pdf, click on link below: Abstract Supplemental Data File
- Ng PC, Henikoff S "Accounting for human polymorphisms predicted to affect protein function." Genome Res 2002 Mar ; 12(3) : 436-46 Abstract Supplemental Link
Complete Publications List